* Required fields
District of Columbia
NOTE: This application is for residents of Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, Washington D.C., and Pennsylvania ONLY. You can find Cairn Terrier Rescue volunteers in your area at . www.cairnterrier.org/rescue/
* Zip Code:
* Your Age:
21 - 24
25 - 29
30 - 39
40 - 49
50 - 59
60 - 69
70 - 79
1. Have you ever owned a Cairn Terrier?
If Yes, for how long?
Why do you want a Cairn Terrier?
2. Do you have young children living with you?
If Yes, how many?
What are their ages?
What experience have your children
had with caring for a dog?
PLEASE NOTE: Because the history of a Rescue dog is unknown, PCTC will NOT adopt to families with children aged 7 years and under.
3. Do you have young children that come and visit with you
(i.e. grandchild, niece/nephew, etc.)? Yes No
If Yes, what are their ages?
What experiences have these
children had with dogs?
4. Do you currently have a dog?
If Yes, what breed(s)?
5. Have you ever owned dogs previously?
If Yes, what breed(s)?
What became of it/them?
6. Do you have other pets?
If Yes, what kind?
7. If you currently have dog(s), do you have a plan for integrating a new dog into your home?
If Yes, please describe your plan:
8. Do you currently have a local veterinarian?
If Yes, may we contact him/her?
9. In what type of home do you live?
Do you rent or own your home?
If you rent, will your
landlord allow pets?
Do you have a fenced yard?
If Yes, describe height and materials:
PLEASE NOTE: PCTC will NOT adopt Rescue Cairns to homes where invisible fencing is the primary means of keeping the dog in the yard when outdoors.
If no fence, would you be willing to fence in a portion of your yard?
If No, why not?
When you are NOT in a securely fenced area,
will you agree to ONLY walk and exercise
the dog on a leash? Yes No
Are you willing to have a rescue volunteer visit your home?
10. Who will be responsible for caring for the dog?
Myself My Spouse My Child Other
11. Do you agree to provide all necessary veterinary care for the dog, including
annual booster vaccines, heartworm testing, heartworm preventative, and general health care?
12. Will anyone be home during the day?
If Yes, who?
How may hours will the dog be alone during the day?
1 - 2 Hours
3 - 6 Hours
7 - 9 Hours
More than 9 Hours
13. Where will the dog be kept when you are NOT at home
Where will the dog be kept when you ARE at home
Where will the dog be kept at night
14. We require that all dogs adopted from us be spayed or neutered.
Do you have any questions or reservations about this policy?
If Yes, please explain:
15. Who will care for the dog when you go on vacation?
Dog Sitting Service
Board at Vet
Board at Kennel
If you move, what will you do with this dog?
16. Cairns can live well into their teens.
Are you willing to take responsibility for this dog for the next 10 or more years?
In case you can no longer care for the Cairn, what provisions would you make in your will for its continued care?
(i.e., Do you have a specific person to designate for the Cairn's future care? )
17. Have you considered how much it will cost to care for this dog each year?
(include veterinary care, food, grooming, licensing) Yes No
18. What gender Cairn do you prefer?
Between the ages of
Your application will remain on file for
two months. If you are still interested in adopting a Cairn after that time, you must submit another application.
Please make sure the application is complete before pressing the "Submit" button below.
Incomplete applications may be rejected or delayed.